Jared Rushton, 53, became a famous actor with roles in many movies, including the most renowned, Big (1988). He left acting in 2000 and ventured into music – with a career with the rock band, Deal by Dusk. The band also includes his brother Ryan Rushton as a member and they are known for songs such as One Time, Roll Me, Restless, and Kathleen.
Rushton has been living a more quiet private life in recent years. Despite that, the world still remembers his mother Monica Rushton for her role in bringing him to the limelight. He is reportedly married and enjoys cycling and model-making.
What Rushton Has Been Up To Since He Left Acting in 2000
Rushton appeared in Big with many famous actors such as Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins. Afterward, he left the acting scene in 2000 after appearing in Cover Me: Based on the True Life of an FBI Family. He moved to join the American rock band, Deal by Dusk.
The band was formed in Los Angeles, California, and has other members such as Dan Kaulahao (guitar), Jon Pawlowski, Ryan Rushton (drum), and Todd Crayton (percussion).
With Deal by Dusk, the former actor who played Brian in A Cry in the Wild plays keys/guitar. He helped the band release numerous songs, Extended Plays, and albums such as Sharing Your Breathing, Thread to the Torn, and Headlights.
Besides Deal by Dusk, the former actor has also contributed to the music industry through another band, Withdrawal. With the latter band, he featured in its The Perfectionist Blacklist album in 2006.
He has also contributed to numerous artists, songs, and albums such as Dogs of Ire’s album Sterile Thoughts from a First World which was released in 2005.
Again, the former actor worked on the Aperture for Departure album by Strangers Die Every Day in 2008.
He is revealed by eightieskids.com to have moved to Florida and is not much into showbiz. The report also claims that the A Cry in the Wild actor is now a keen cyclist and model maker.
His Career Before He Disappeared from Acting
Jared Rushton started his professional acting career at a young age when he was featured as a rocker in a Barbie and the Rockers TV commercial.
In 1986, he featured as Richie in season 3 episode 8 (A Serpent’s Tooth) of Tales from the Darkside.
The same year, he was featured in an episode of the 6th season of Cagney & Lacey. He was played alongside other notable actors such as Sharon Gless, Tyne Daly, Al Waxman, and Carl Lumbly.
After featuring in a number of other TV movies and films, he had his big career break in 1988 when he played Billy in Big. He was only 14 at the time. His role was that of the best friend of Josh Baskin (Tom Hanks).
The film won him attention, admiration, fame, and a Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture Comedy or Fantasy nomination from the Young Artist Award in 1989. He also got a Saturn Award nomination for Best Performance by a Younger Actor in 1990.
The same year he was featured as Billy, Jared also played Travis Harmon in the 5th episode of season 5 of Murder, She Wrote. Afterward, he portrayed Chip Lang in Roxeanne.
Jared kept playing his roles so well that it became difficult to turn movie fans’ eyes away from him. Also, directors kept giving him opportunities and this led to another major career breakthrough for him when he interpreted the role of Ron Thompson in Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. He featured in the multi-award-winning 1989 film alongside the likes of Rick Moranis, Matt Frewer, Marcia Strassman, Kristine Sutherland, and Thomas Wilson Brown.
He continued to push through in Hollywood for over a decade until he left the acting scene in 2000. He closed his professional acting career with the role of Seth Kesseling in season 1 episode 2 (The Line) of Cover Me: Based on the True Life of an FBI Family.
List of His Films and Series
- Cover Me: Based on the True Life of an FBI Family (as Seth Kesseling; 2000)
- Cracker: Mind Over Murder (as Bill Lane; 1997)
- Dead Man’s Walk (as Wesley Buttons; 1996)
- ER (as Andy Bohlmeyer; 1994)
- The Yarn Princess (as Peter Thomas; 1994)
- Northern Exposure (as Phil; 1990)
- CBS Schoolbreak Special (as Alex Raymond; 1984)
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (as Calvin Harding; 1993)
- Life Goes On (as Ziggy; 1989)
- Camp Wilder (as David; 1992)
- Pet Sematary II (as Clyde Parker; 1992)
- …Where’s Rodney? (as Rodney Barnes; 1990)
- A Cry in the Wild (as Brian; 1990)
- Midnight Caller (as Sylver Jensen; 1988)
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (as Ron Thompson; 1989)
- Roseanne (as Chip Lang; 1988)
- Murder, She Wrote (as Travis Harmon; 1984)
- Big (as Billy; 1988)
- White (as Donald; 1988)
- Overboard (as Charlie; 1987)
- Top Kids (as Peter; 1987)
- Cagney & Lacey (as Peter Wade; 1981)
- Tales from the Darkside (as Richie; 1983)
List of Jared Rushton’s Awards and Nominations
- He was nominated as the Best Young Actor Starring in a Cable Special by Young Artist Award in 1991.
- In 1990, Jared was nominated by the Young Artist Award in the Best Young Actor Starring in a Motion Picture category.
- He received a nomination for Best Young Actor/Actress in a Film Made for Video
from the Young Artist Award in 1989.
- Young Artist Award nominated him for Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture Comedy or Fantasy in 1989.
- Jared Rushton received an award nomination from the Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor in 1991.
- The Utah-born entertainer was nominated for Best Performance by a Younger Actor
by Saturn Award.
Is Jared Rushton Married?
The former actor who is now 49 years old is reportedly married. The identity of his wife is tightly sealed but there are reports that he is married to a woman named Laura. Other sources suggest that he could be married to Sarah J. Rushford.
However, from our findings, he is not married to Sarah. Instead, there is another Jared Rushton who is based in Mozambique Africa. He is a teacher, a father of 3, and often mistaken for the famous former actor Jared.
What the men have in common is a name.
Who are the Utah Born-Actor’s Parents and Siblings?
Jared Michael Rushton’s mother is Monica Rushton. Details about her are not much revealed to the public but she is known for helping him reach greatness as an actor.
Monica assisted Jared on the set of Big, a 1988 American fantasy comedy-drama film that featured Jared as Billy.
With respect to his father, details about him have been kept private.
The former famous child actor has a younger brother, Ryan Rushton – an actor born on October 31, 1975.
Ryan was also an actor and a member of Deal by Dusk band. In his acting career, he appeared majorly in series. Some of his notable works include Great Balls of Fire! (1989), Head of the Class (1986), MacGyver (1985), The Wizard (1986), and Webster (1986).